Wednesday 11 April 2012

A story of patriarchy resolution translates into activism

A history of patriarchy resolution translates into activism   Mr. Mathias is a Nzume exceptional men in a place where patriarchy reigns: he is an advocate for gender equality and women's rights.
Mr. Nzume is a Cameroonian, married with five children, three girls and two boys. Driven by his personal experiences and agony, with his mother, Mr. Nzume knows first hand the human rights abuses taking place in Cameroon, and particularly to his people in Bakossi - an ethnic group in the South West of Cameroon.
"My life has been depressed to a certain place," said Mr. Nzume, a former high school teacher, now chief of the Department of Families of Women and Family (MINWEF) Regional Delegation of the South West - Buea, Cameroon.
"I grew up as an orphan, however, my parents were alive," said Nzume. As an orphan, he says - his biological father have never acknowledged as his son - he always referred to me as son of his deceased brother. A man who was not my biological father, "said
The situation of Mr. Nzume done to become a defender to make a difference - an environment that would end all injustice, especially against women, widows and orphans. A situation in which he says is not the victims, but make fate.
"It was a cruel and emotionally painful." Said.Struggles for identity led him to discover two foreign radio stations, the BBC and Voice of America - an opportunity for transformation remains to this day an interested listener. That said, were one of the reasons why he is a staunch defender of human rights of women.
"It became at times in the 80". Recalled. "I came through the radio stations:. BBC and Voice of America had this once, caught my eye Though I knew nothing of classical concepts gender, legal instruments., principles and practice - listening to the BBC / VOA has enlightened me so much so that when I graduated, I decided to study a large double major: StudiesLaw and Gender at the University of Buea "..
Her interest in gender studies would be a good perspective on women's issues, including traditional norms and the position of women in culture.And appearance of the law was to articulate gender issues from a legal point of view and also use this platform to intervene in the situation of women.
After his graduation is about mid-90s, returned to his regular classroom and in 2008 he was offered the position as head of the Department of Family Welfare as Head of Department, Ministry of Women empowerment of the regional delegation of the Southwest (MINWEF), a new department in MINWEF.As head (chief) of service for the welfare of the family MINWEF, your first responsibility is to resolve family conflicts, to improve the welfare of the family and provide assistance to volunteers interested in doing good be a family of social concern.
Mr. Ediage, a professional architect shares his personal encounters with Mr. Nzume: "For nearly five years after my father died I never said a word to my mother my mother and I were never on good terms never .. cross the road.My life has been traumatized. I was depressed. And now, thanks to one-on-one advice and Mr. Nzume dialogue sessions, my mother and I are able to exchange words. "
Melanie, a professional stylist also stated that "Mr. Nzume inspires me. He took his time looking at my problem. He did not hurry. At any time, anywhere, always ready to give advice and help bring peace between me and my parents. "
Please note that during 2008 - 2011 before the new recruit 25,000 young government, Mr. Nzume worker was the only male around the MINWEF-Buea and the first man to hold the position of department head protectionfamily.Since his arrival on this occasion, has won more than 600 cases of violence against women (rape ranges [civil], domestic violence, sexual abuse), the resolution of family conflicts.
And under his leadership, organizes an annual mass [group marriages] [taking place is held every May 15] in the center of the delegation to Buea.The wedding was held the first Mass in 2009 with 51 married couples and in 2010 was 49 years and 51 years.
Mr. Nzume believes change is happening and human rights of women gradually followed. However, he said - no need for more comprehensive laws to advance the entire state of women in Cameroon, especially in light of marriage, widowhood, and sexual and reproductive health.
Besides, he says - "men and women must become partners in the realization of human rights of women."
And finally, coming soon is the book of Mr. Nzume entitled Tears of the female, "where he shares his personal and professional experience, an insight on how society views women, the way forward for better society for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment